Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 23 - St. Peter & Paul & the neighborhood

In the morning we did the youth park. Nothing special there. Some girls tried to talk to Georgia in Lithuanian. She got really frustrated and said "I don't understand anything." I told her I have the same problem. It is sad that when she is in the mood for socializing with other kids, there are none around that speak the same language. Met a girl called Liepa. It means July and Linden tree. It takes some getting used to because the other meanings in Russian get in the way of the beauty of the name.

For lunch we went to the Dolce Vita on Traku. They had a really good cold borsht, though Dan did not like his because it had cilantro in it. I could hardly taste it so it was good. Then we had a "house made dumplings" - they really should have stuck with the store variety. In general, would not recommend it. The service is way too slow - we waited for 30 minutes for the dumpings. Even I could do them faster than that.

We were waiting for Alicia for dinner so I tried making saltibarsciai for the third time. It was the charm. Apparently all you have to do is use the kefir especially marked for "saltibarsciai." It is 6% as opposed to the regular variety which is usually around 2.5%. Extra fat gives it the sourness that lemon cannot replicate. All the other ingredients hardly even matter.

Alicia could not come so we headed out in the direction of St. Peter and Paul. I blogged about it last year on the Day 15 so I'll skip the details. It is still one of the most beautiful churches in the world. Then we walked around Dan's childhood park and the surrounding areas for 2.5 hours. It was great. Tomorrow we are off to the museum of torture for lunch. See if it can beat the Dolce Vita.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a spammer, please don't bother leaving a comment!