Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 44 - More Usupis and felt hats

Georgia declared today that she is going to the playground with grandma in the morning. So that left me at home. I stayed for about an hour and then got out as well. I've gotten used to walking in the morning and without it, the morning seems empty.

I walked up to Stikliu street and spent some time in the store that sold felt clothing. I am not into this kind of stuff but after a while I started to see that it is really beautiful and unique. They have interesting designs where the felt is somehow attached to silk scarves. They also have fantastic hats, gloves, and bags.

Then the owner turned to me. In a very decisive way she said that there is no need for me to buy any of this stuff if I could make it. And I could make it if I take a 5 hour course they offer at the store. And I would be walking out with my own hat for half the price included as a part of the course. Not to mention the new knowledge that has been known to give some people adrenaline rush. And the course is next week. So I signed up. Really looking forward to it.

For lunch I've made some cold borscht and got orphan kibinai. My cold borscht is at an impasse. It does not suck exactly, but it would take divine intervention to make it better.

Then we went to get new glasses for Dan. This is probably the last time we are doing it here since the prices are very close to those in the US. Still his vision has significantly decreased in one eye and to get the skinny lenses in US with all the trappings would probably cost an arm and a leg.

When Georgia woke up we went to Uzupis. Dan's mom showed us a beautiful basement shop of the music boxes and French perfume. I missed it last time because I did not understand the sign directing the visitors to the door in the alley, and so ignored it. Then we discovered a nice little park on a hill deep inside Usupis. Dan's mom confirmed that she never ventured this far in this neighborhood. We also found a brewery that sometimes sells its delicious beer and kvas at city fairs. Will be definitely back.

In the evening there was a band playing in front of the city hall. So pleasant and relaxing. Then Vitalik came with his family. We made a full carb and fat run starting with pork fat and mini-sausage drops from Latvia, to ravioli with butter and unstuffed ravioli with condensed milk, to crepes, to the "cow" candy with marshmellows. We were getting happy and sedated. Georgia ruined the fun by getting ultra greedy with her toys. Poor Ilyusha was very disappointed and started to want to leave. So we had to call it the night. But we shall continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a spammer, please don't bother leaving a comment!