Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 23 - Long, thick, and black and the backyard rejection

As the first part of the title suggests, Isabella and I went to the market this morning. There was a bucket full of them long, black, and thick things that seemed really out of place in the produce isle. Incredulously I asked the sales person what they were. She was quick to accuse: "Lady, you really don't know anything about the beet varieties. I was relieved to know that I now know a little more. Next time I'll bring a camera when I go, these are meant to be shared.

Today was a lucky day. I got the pictures of two of our characters. Unfortunately the homeless guy was taken from the back. I was afraid he might do something crazy from the excitement. Rosita was happy to pose. She straightened her dress and scarf.

We worked out of the soup shop of Gediminas 9 Mall. It is air-conditioned. It's awesome! 

Georgia said several funny things today: Alicia said to her: "It is so hot that I am dying." Georgia looked at her with great curiousity and asked "How?" She really wanted to learn more about the process.

Then there was a homeless guy with a board saying that he needs money. Georgia asked Irina why he is begging. Irina said that maybe his house burned down and he does not have a place to live. Georgia asked why houses burn down. Irina, already sorry that she got on this slippery slope, said that sometimes people smoke in bed and fall asleep with a cigarette burning. Then they both decided that it is unliked that this is what happened because the guy looked fine. So Georgia asked for another reason. Irina said that sometimes fires start when kids play with the matches. Georgia had huge eyes: OMG, we play with playdough and matches! Irina was stumped, she said that it is conceivable that the guy is lying and he is not homeless at all. Georgia seemed to like this explanation the most.

In the evening we went out with Alicia and Irina and then afterwards just walked around. Got up the Gediminas tower hill to look at the city. It has one of the prettiest old towns compared to Tallinn and Riga and the worst preserved one. Only a few main streets are fixed up and even there, there a empty abandoned buildings ruining away. And off the main streets, there are countless other buildings and courtyards. I don't see it getting any better in the next 5 years at least.

It is interesting to watch the people come out on the streets in the evening. Definitely more attractive women out in the finest of their finery. Some new moms are crammed into the tight clothing and makeup that says: "I am so hot, there is no way he would dump me for someone else hotter and without the kid." I heard that in Russia the demographics are even worse and women have to try even harder to win over and keep some prospective alcoholics.

We wandered into a new backyard. I guess our couture failed here as well because a lady on a balcony facing the backyard started screaming to get out or she would call the police. We tried to be polite about it and eventually Dan switched to English asking her not to be rude. Some gears switched in the lady's head and she said "bitte shan." Great! We should have responded with "Hail Hitler" and continued our walk. The non-funny thing is that people like that are probably sitting in every backyard and walking the streets. And if you scratch a little, below all that finery, is the same age-old thing. I always have a blog entry like this. We rationalized back our good mood and went home.

P.S. Sorry - will upload the pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a spammer, please don't bother leaving a comment!